Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Chicken Stir Fry with Kelp Noodles

I was trying to make my menu plan for this week, and asked PaleoGirl what she wanted to eat this week for dinner.  She said kelp noodles.  Yes, my daughter really did ask for kelp noodles.  I thought we could eat these later in the week, but she had other ideas.  And since I really didn't feel like fighting with her last night, I adapted this recipe from NomNomPaleo, which the whole family loved when I made it the first time.  Be sure to check it out!

The nice thing about this recipe is that it is easily adaptable.  I thought that I would share my adaptation with you.



Chicken Stir Fry with Kelp Noodles

1 1/2 - 2  lbs of boneless, skinless Chicken Breast
2 large Carrots (I diced them, but julienned or matchsticks would probably have been better)
1 medium Onion, minced (or grated)
4 cloves Garlic
1/3 - 1/2 lb of Green beans, cut into 1" pieces (broccoli would work too)
1/4 - 1/3 cup Chicken Broth
Beet Greens, from 3 beets (spinach, bok choy, or another mild green would work too)
1 bag Kelp Noodles, I used these
2 1/2 tbsp Coconut Aminos (I used Bragg's as I'm trying to use up what I have)
1 1/2 tbsp Coconut Vinegar
1 tbsp Toasted Sesame Oil
Coconut Oil for pan, probably about 2-3 tbsp


  1. Place chicken in freezer for 20-30 minutes.  (This will make it easier to slice thinly.)
  2. Rinse the kelp noodles and let drain until you are ready for them.
  3. Start julienning carrots, slicing onions and prepping other veggies.
  4. Slice chicken thinly, I aimed for about 1/4" in thickness.
  5. Heat pan over medium to medium high heat and add coconut oil. 
  6. Add chicken, and cook until brown.  The flip and brown the other side.  Remove from pan.  (I had to do this in 2 batches.)
  7. Add onions and carrots to pan until tender crisp.  Add more coconut oil if you need.
  8. Next add the garlic and green beans.  Cook 2 minutes more.
  9. Pour in the chicken broth and scrape all the yummy brown bits off the bottom of the pan.
  10. Add the greens and saute until just wilted.
  11. Then toss kelp noodles with veggies for 1-2 minutes, until they begin to soften.
  12. Add chicken back to the pan until warm.
  13. Then add coconut aminos, and coconut vinegar.
  14. Remove pan from heat and finish with toasted sesame oil.


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment